Me, myself, and Food

I have lived in Denver for 7 years, and grew up in Nederland Colorado. I eat all around the state, I know a lot of hidden gems, and want to share them with you. I am always looking for good restaurants and I am sick of digging and digging for that information, come on Colorado lets share what we are eating!!!!!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Ernie's Pizza Bar

Ernie's Pizza bar is located at

 2915 West 44th Avenue
Denver, CO 80211
(303) 955-5580

You can eat in or carry out.  This used to be a former restaurant that I would go to from time to time called, three sons, but it closed about a year ago and was replaced by Ernie's.  My friend Mike and I went there last Tuesday night.  On Tuesday's it is family night and you can get dinner for 4 people for $30 (prices may change) but it seems like a good deal you get a salad to share and a large pizza or spaghetti and meatballs, a large pitcher of soda and flavored ice for dessert.  Since it was just Mike and I we ordered off of the menu.  Also important to note that the bar here has a really good selection of beers and drinks, they even make their own limoncello.  We start with the house salad.



It was a really good salad served family style in a wooden bowl.  Fresh baby salad greens, red onions, pitted kalamata olives, and tomatoes served with the house dressing which is olive oil based.  I was really impressed by this salad since it seems like house salads can sometimes be cheap and over priced, but this one was not, around $4 a person but was really worth the price.  For our main meal I had a meatball calzone.
The Calzone is filled with mozzarella, ricotta, and sliced meatballs.  This was once of the best things I have eaten in a long time and writing about it is making me drool.  Go get this now, or of course when they are open.  Mike had a pepperoni pizza with sliced red onions, he wouldn't let me take a picture because he is a loser!!!!!  But he ate the whole thing so I am sure it was good, and he said it was good, so I am going to trust him.  Overall this place was really great.  The service was slow but I'm not too sure if that was just because our waiter had almost half the restaurant to himself, but it didn't ruin my opinion, the food more then made up for it.  The calzone was around $12 and Mike's pizza was around $11, might seem a little pricey but the ingredients are so fresh that you will not leave feeling like you didn't get your moneys worth.  Overall I will be going back a lot, and it is close to my house in Denver so I am even more happy about that.  The menu features; pizza, calzones, salads, pasta, and sandwiches, there is also gluten free pizza available.  A very simple menu but very good quality.  I would recommend that you go. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks SO much for the recommendation, you were right on point about everything. The service was quite friendly albeit a little slow. Food was awesome. Michelle and I tried alot and brought alot home. Our menu:

    Antipasto Platter - seemed very italian-ish and was delish
    House Salad - Family style, lightly dressed and refreshing.
    Pizza - Pep & onion, was pretty danged good
    Chicken Parm - chicken was moist, coating was crispy and delicious...i think the pasta is all fresh? (we forgot to confirm)But overall the dish was delicious.
    Zeppoli (for two) - this was the pies de resistance, and on my list of top desserts ever put in my mouth. I decided it was someones take on an italian banana split. Fried pizza dough rolled in cinnamon and sugar with 3 "dipping" sauces: roasted banana & nutella choc mousse; cannoli cream with choc chips; and strawberry mascarpone. This dessert was absolutely amazing and SHOULD NOT be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now next time I am going to have to get some dessert!!!!!! drool.............

    ReplyDelete