Me, myself, and Food

I have lived in Denver for 7 years, and grew up in Nederland Colorado. I eat all around the state, I know a lot of hidden gems, and want to share them with you. I am always looking for good restaurants and I am sick of digging and digging for that information, come on Colorado lets share what we are eating!!!!!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I think I might be half greek...........

If there is one thing that I love just as much as Mexican food it is Greek food.  I am sure if I ever get to go to Greece I will love the food just as much, but what I am talking about is gyros which I am pretty sure is not what they eat in Greece.  I just love it and I think and I know that is probably not very good for you, but I really don't care because I love it.  I kind of do what I want, you should just get to know that about me.  So my favorite food companions Teresa and Jesse suggested Melita's Greek Cafe and market they eat there a lot but I have not and it was on my list of places to try so off we went.  You walk in and it looks like a diner with some grocery items to one side, I think OK this looks pretty good, because everyone knows that the lower the ambiance is, you are probably going to have a good meal.  They have a menu on the wall, the kind of menu you see at a bowling alley snack stand with the red and black press in letters and numbers......I am liking this already.  I grabbed a paper menu to have a peek.

I love a good paper menu.  I order some hummus and pita to start, I have to have an appetizer it is like a drug or something, I have found many a good food just by ordering an appetizer.  The hummus was great, and the pita is grilled on a flat top which makes it slightly oily and toasted which is even better.


hummus and pita
droollllllllllllllllllllllll sorry I had a moment of pita and hummus coma for a minute.  Ok on to the main event.  Teresa had falafel sandwich and french fries, which I of course tasted.  The falafel was really well seasoned and I am pretty sure made in house and homemade with ingredients on hand not from a box. 


falafel sandwich
Jesse ordered the gyros sandwich with a side salad.  I like the fact that you can get fries or a salad with the combo because sometimes you do not want fries and you don't want to pay extra for a salad.  I also had some salad with my gyros platter and I will say the salad here is very fresh and not boring, see picture below to figure out "not boring". 
gyros sandwich
I don't really know if Jesse liked this but I think it was gone in about 2 minutes flat, and that is very strange for Jesse so I am going to say that he LOVED it and move on.  The gyros platter was similar but comes with some baklava as a dessert.  I really enjoyed my food and took half home to eat the next night for dinner, I just tossed it with some more salad greens and had two salads from one meal.  This place really gives you a lot of meat so chances are you will be taking some home.  I am definitely going here again, and by again I mean soon, and by soon I mean maybe this weekend.  If you are not in the mood for greek they do offer cheese burgers and different types of sandwiches, I am sure they are all good.  So what are you waiting for, an invitation?  Go there now.

top view gyros platter

side view gyros platter

2 comments:

  1. Aww, you're our favorite food companion too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good because I am glad you like to come with me!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete